The excavations of ancient Eliki (Helice) in Aigialia
Eliki (Helice) was an ancient Greek town at the Selinus River located at the southern end of the Gulf of Corinth near the modern city of Aigio.
In 373 BC, a severe earthquake destroyed the town and it disappeared into the sea.
The writings of the historians Pausanias, Heridotus, Marcus Aurelius, Siculus and of Homer’s “Iliad” all refer to Eliki.
The Elikonian Temple of Poseidon was located there and the centre for the worship of Poseidon, the god of the sea and the big bronze statue of Poseidon was the only thing to remain standing after the earthquake. In the Iliad, Poseidon is “patron of Helike”.
Pausanias wrote about Helice being the daughter of Selinos and Aigialia (later Achaia) and she was married to Ion, son of the King of Athens, who named the town after her.
The Greek historian Diodoru Siculus wrote that the city of Helice was “first among the towns of Achaia” before the earthquake.
Marcus Aurelius (121-180 AD) wrote in his memoirs: “… and how many towns are totally dead, Helice, Pompeii and Herculaneum and countless others”.
For many years archaeologists have been trying to locate the sunken city of Helice and were successful at many excavation sites. These findings are attributed to the archaeologists Dora Katsonopoulou and Steven Soter.
ANCIENT THEATER OF AIGEIRA
One of the most important monuments in the area, carved for the most part in bedrock overlooking the Corinthian Gulf and geographically opposite Delphi.
Its construction dates back to the middle of the 3rd century BC (280-250 BC).
The first excavations began in 1916 under the Austrian archaeologist Otto Walter and the Austrian Archaeological Institute.
Today it has been fully uncovered and significant restoration work has been done, which continues to this day.
The theater hosts a few select cultural performances during the summer.